Skip to main content

Another trip to New York

Most of my loyal readers, three or four of you, know that I take trips to New York every couple of months to visit my family. Now, when i say New York what i really mean is that I usually fly over or near above mentioned city and land just across the river in the fine state of New Jersey. I call these trips "going to New York" for the same reason I never say "I hail from Glenview Illinois". It takes too long to explain that Glenview is approximately seventeen miles north and a little west from the downtown Chicago, that is why I simply say I am from Chicago. The same reason applies to my trips to New York. I don't want to spend time explaining which exit of the Turnpike my parents live at.

Anyway, I usually don't get to go to the city, as it would take too long to drive over. This time around it was a little different. Instead of flying to Newark we flew to the LaGuardia airport in New York. This gave me a unique (or a rare one) opportunity to go on a car tour in downtown Manhattan. I also wanted to show my kid some of the places she haven't seen before, and that hold some meaning for me in New York.

Armed only with my trusty Android phone I've tried to take a bunch of pictures. Some were successful, most have not been, I've been snapping from a moving vehicle(s).


We were approaching from the southwest of the city, over the Verrazano Bridge connection Staten Island and Brooklyn.



Flying over Brooklyn for LGA approach. Manhattan, Ellis and Liberty islands all visible. The tallest building is the new tower being build.



Just a view from BQE to mid-town Manhattan.


Manhattan Bridge going from Brooklyn to Manhattan's Chinatown


Chinatown.


View of the new Tower from the West st.

Much closer. The building is huge.


1 Liberty Plaza. My first place of work at the LTCB of Japan.


The Bull on Wall st.


Hot dog vendor. Unfortunately I couldn't see any falafel or kebob vendors ont he street.


This across Battery park. What is interesting that the building with a black side poking through is where New York Association for New Americans (NYANA) located. A place where most of the immigrants went through in the 90's.


Southport with tall ships.


My and my brother's Alma Mater, PACE University.


So this is not the best image, my hand jerked as I snapped the shot and then we were past. The building all the way on the right with white columns is our old apartment at 305 Ocean Pkwy.


My High School on the 20th st in Brooklyn. FDR High School. Interestingly enough it's neighboring a huge Jewish cemetery where my grandparents are now resting.
 I love visiting New York. I love to see Brooklyn, where very little changes with years. The next time I am going to be there is probably in several months. We are planning to hit Brighton Beach, maybe I can take some more pictures.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things you never cared to know about Mayonnaise

I have decided to start a new Rubric. Once a week I will write a post about a random subject. Having the subject coming out of MY head, it can be about anything. I constantly have a lot of random "Why?" and "How does?" questions floating around in my head. I will try to explain how I arrived to the subject at hand and promise to do diligent research on Wikipedia and provide you, the unfortunate reader, with either the interesting or unusual bits of info. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED! In addition to that I have a slight fetish for trivia. The rubric will be called: Things you never cared to know about Today's topic is Mayonnaise . How did I arrive to that? As I was making breakfast in the morning, I decided that I wanted to take a pita pocket and stuff it with something. The pitas are usually fairly dry, and you have to toast them. I did not have Hummus or Babaganoush (GOD! I just love saying BA-BA-GA-NOUSHHHHHHHHH!) I put a little Mayo inside to soften it up. So, ther

Crazy ideas - UPDATED

Here's a crazy survey I thought off. If you had a time machine where would you travel first? Assuming the fact of course of universal invincibility. ----UPDATE---- As my brother mentioned, with time travel universally available getting rich schemes would be less than doable. My aim is more towards investigating great mysteries of history. Therefore: a. To the Big Bang b. To see an asteroid killing dinosaurs c. To see the exodus of Jews as it really happened d. Try to see if Jesus hubbub really happened e. Forget the past, I'd go to the year 2020 to see who winds World Series and place a bet accordingly. f. Suggested by Ilya . Back a day or to to purchase winning lottery ticket. e. Try to see if Atlantis existed. f. Travel to the future to see the explosion of our Sun. I am torn between the dinosaurs and the World Series. Please suggest the choices. Should I add Buddha and Muhammed to the list as well? From the curiousity stand-point. I still rather see the dinosaurs.

Olympics

I watched the opening ceremony over the weekend (after all these years i still rave about TiVo). Am I the only one who is intimidated by the sheer amount of human power involved in the theatrics? I was impressed and a little scared at the same time. Paranoia kicking-in. Did they do that on purpose, to show how much cheap labor they can employ, to pull almost anything off?