Skip to main content

Pursuit of legos

I'll be the first one to admit it that I have a problem when it comes to toys. When I was a kid I loved toy guns, later it became video games, now most of my toys come from the expensive electronic variety. Sometimes however, I can't resist the 7 year old in me and I buy myself a Lego. It's been worse a year or two ago, as I was buying more of them. At the moment however, I don't have a place to put them so I am very picky about the ones that I get. There are two criteria that I use. They have to be from the original Star Wars of course (there is one exception from the prequels and one from the Clone Wars), and they have to be of a complicated sort. I do enjoy immensely putting them together, and this kind of semi-mindless hands-on work rests my brain.

This year, for my birthday I've acquired one that I've been look at for a time now. I have a smaller version of it, and the full blown version even I am not crazy enough to spend money on, it costs approximately $500. This one however, hit all the right spots.

Meet the Millennium Falcon, quite possibly the most famous fictional spaceship in the world. I've enjoyed putting this together, with the help of my kids over the span of a week. Of course, I could have done it faster, but decided to prolong the fun of it a little. For kid's sake of course :)

The thing is big around foot and and half in diameter. The set had over a thousand pieces and the instructions came in two booklets. The model has a lot of nice subtle little details like hidden compartments, gunner seats for the top and bottom quad-turrets, a whole scene set with traning droid and Luke's training helmet, and a chess table. The figures included were Han, Leia, Luke, Obi-Wan, Chewie and Darth. The only problem that I have with the detail, is that (and this is where my wife will laugh and shake her head sadly) the cockpit is a one-sitter, where of course it is supposed to be sitting pilot and co-pilot.

Overall it's worth the money spent. The model looks big and complicated. There is enough going on there to make it interesting for a kid in me and my own kids in putting this model together.

The photography is god-awful, but I wasn't concentrating on it.

Enjoy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things you never cared to know about Mayonnaise

I have decided to start a new Rubric. Once a week I will write a post about a random subject. Having the subject coming out of MY head, it can be about anything. I constantly have a lot of random "Why?" and "How does?" questions floating around in my head. I will try to explain how I arrived to the subject at hand and promise to do diligent research on Wikipedia and provide you, the unfortunate reader, with either the interesting or unusual bits of info. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED! In addition to that I have a slight fetish for trivia. The rubric will be called: Things you never cared to know about Today's topic is Mayonnaise . How did I arrive to that? As I was making breakfast in the morning, I decided that I wanted to take a pita pocket and stuff it with something. The pitas are usually fairly dry, and you have to toast them. I did not have Hummus or Babaganoush (GOD! I just love saying BA-BA-GA-NOUSHHHHHHHHH!) I put a little Mayo inside to soften it up. So, ther

Crazy ideas - UPDATED

Here's a crazy survey I thought off. If you had a time machine where would you travel first? Assuming the fact of course of universal invincibility. ----UPDATE---- As my brother mentioned, with time travel universally available getting rich schemes would be less than doable. My aim is more towards investigating great mysteries of history. Therefore: a. To the Big Bang b. To see an asteroid killing dinosaurs c. To see the exodus of Jews as it really happened d. Try to see if Jesus hubbub really happened e. Forget the past, I'd go to the year 2020 to see who winds World Series and place a bet accordingly. f. Suggested by Ilya . Back a day or to to purchase winning lottery ticket. e. Try to see if Atlantis existed. f. Travel to the future to see the explosion of our Sun. I am torn between the dinosaurs and the World Series. Please suggest the choices. Should I add Buddha and Muhammed to the list as well? From the curiousity stand-point. I still rather see the dinosaurs.

Olympics

I watched the opening ceremony over the weekend (after all these years i still rave about TiVo). Am I the only one who is intimidated by the sheer amount of human power involved in the theatrics? I was impressed and a little scared at the same time. Paranoia kicking-in. Did they do that on purpose, to show how much cheap labor they can employ, to pull almost anything off?