Friday, September 17, 2010

Close encounters of the stinky kind

I stepped outside yesterday evening on my deck. As I turned around I saw a skunk skulking close by. I think this bastard lives in the neighborhood, maybe even under my deck, I've seen him plenty of times. He saw me, froze and rose his tail. I saw that and as quickly as possible stepped into garage and closed the door. I think he also got scared and quickly shuffled off. At least he didn't spray.

Humans are supposed to be the kings of the environment, why is it that we are afraid of a small striped animal?

3 comments:

Eric said...

Because that small-striped animal has one of the most powerful chemical weapons devised by aeons of evolution.

You must've startled the little guy; I was reading an old thing in Slate about skunks not so long ago that suggested skunks are basically fearless because there just aren't any predators on the face of the Earth they can't deter.

Hang on--

Here it is, if you're interested.

Great critters, but you definitely don't want to be on the wrong end of one....

Eric said...

Re-reading the piece, I should correct something I just said: domestic dogs are generally too stupid to be deterred and owls have lousy senses of smell.

So there are a few predators....

Konstantin B. said...

Charming animals. I wonder what's better a skunk or a coon? At least coons don't stink.