Skip to main content

An experiment of sorts

I've done something recently I would never have done before. You might remember the episode where my GPS was stolen from car in the middle of day on a busy street in Chi-town. I won't provide linkback, the baby is sleeping and I don't want to waste time.

I've looked around for GPS' in stores, but for some reason I am not willing to spend more than a $100 right now. The bottom of the line GPS models for $99 in Walmart i don't really want. I want my gadgets to burst with fun options.

Here comes the Ebay. I actually haven't purchased anything on Ebay in ages. I mean at least 5-6 years, and I don't have an explanation for it. Anyway, I have searched for the same model I had, the auctions always end up way above $100. Then, something caught my eye. A bunch of auctions, always ending up below $100 mark, selling a no-name brand.

Here are the listed features.

CPU: SiRF Atlas 400MHz CPU
GPS module: SiRF ATLAS III Inside (SiRF is the most used and famous GPS technology company brand)
SDRAM:64M
Fingertip Touchscreen:Yes
Display:4.3" TFT True Color LCD Touch Screen
Choose 2D or 3D Map: Yes
Antenna: Built-in patch
Dimensions: (WxHxD) 9.5cmx 9cmx2.5cm
Card slot: MMC/SD card (Product with 1GB free SD card) Max up to 2GB
Video Formats: WMV, AVI, ASF
Audio Formats: WMA, MP3, WAV
Picture Browse:JPG, GIF, BMP, PNG
E-book: Read txt
Cold acquisition time: Approximate 45 seconds
AutoLocate: Approximately 2 minutes
Update rate: Once per second, continuous
GPS accuracy: Position - Less than 10 meters (33 feet), 95% typical velocity - 0.1 meters per second steady state
Routes: Automatically calculated
Voice navigation: Yes
Vehicle power cable: Input 12V Output 5V/1.5A
Languages of the Device Menu:English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Czech, Mungarian, Polish, Romanian, Greek, Dutch, Russian

Looks pretty good. They also preload maps for about 30 different coutries if you choose to do so, and can send you some. They also include a 2GB SD card.

Now, it obviously comes from Hong Kong, where the product in built I can only guess. The guess is China. The payment was asked for in Australian dollars.

One thing about Chinese electronics, and this is my personal opinion, is that it is actually not half bad. They build the stuff designed by US and Japan, and then shamelessly steal it. Another fact that I know, that we don't get HALF the cool toys and gadgets the Pacific Asians get. I mean they have some awesome stuff there. Taht is why I have decided to take a chance.

Anyway, I know that I was buying "a cat in the sack" (if I could use a Russian saying here). But as an experiment I have send $80 hard earned US bucks to see what I get.

They offer a one year warranty, although I doubt i would be shipping anything to Hong Kong. The unit is on it's way, and I'll give you a review upon arrival.

------ UPDATED ------------

At least something is coming, I hope its not avian flu

Detailed Results:

Processed through Sort Facility, July 07, 2009, 11:22 am, JAMAICA, NY 11405
Foreign International Dispatch, July 05, 2009, 2:52 pm, HONG KONG AIR MAIL CENTRE, HONG KONG
Foreign Acceptance, July 03, 2009, 3:18 pm, HONG KONG

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things you never cared to know about Mayonnaise

I have decided to start a new Rubric. Once a week I will write a post about a random subject. Having the subject coming out of MY head, it can be about anything. I constantly have a lot of random "Why?" and "How does?" questions floating around in my head. I will try to explain how I arrived to the subject at hand and promise to do diligent research on Wikipedia and provide you, the unfortunate reader, with either the interesting or unusual bits of info. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED! In addition to that I have a slight fetish for trivia. The rubric will be called: Things you never cared to know about Today's topic is Mayonnaise . How did I arrive to that? As I was making breakfast in the morning, I decided that I wanted to take a pita pocket and stuff it with something. The pitas are usually fairly dry, and you have to toast them. I did not have Hummus or Babaganoush (GOD! I just love saying BA-BA-GA-NOUSHHHHHHHHH!) I put a little Mayo inside to soften it up. So, ther

Crazy ideas - UPDATED

Here's a crazy survey I thought off. If you had a time machine where would you travel first? Assuming the fact of course of universal invincibility. ----UPDATE---- As my brother mentioned, with time travel universally available getting rich schemes would be less than doable. My aim is more towards investigating great mysteries of history. Therefore: a. To the Big Bang b. To see an asteroid killing dinosaurs c. To see the exodus of Jews as it really happened d. Try to see if Jesus hubbub really happened e. Forget the past, I'd go to the year 2020 to see who winds World Series and place a bet accordingly. f. Suggested by Ilya . Back a day or to to purchase winning lottery ticket. e. Try to see if Atlantis existed. f. Travel to the future to see the explosion of our Sun. I am torn between the dinosaurs and the World Series. Please suggest the choices. Should I add Buddha and Muhammed to the list as well? From the curiousity stand-point. I still rather see the dinosaurs.

Sunday Night Blogging.

I used to hate olives. Really really hate them, to a point of gagging. I have recently tried on a personal dare to eat the big green greek olives with crap stuffed inside of them. Some think it's anchowies, some think it's salmon, i think it's pepper. I've bought a small cup of them yesterday. They were with peppers inside of them, little red jalapenos, sticking out a bit. For those of my readers who ever had a male dog, the picture is precisely what you are thinking. I am not saying anything else. BTW, the peppers were spicy, although not too spicy. My little one take a look at one of them and proudly declares: "Daddy, the chiken almost got out of that one!" And here's the offending fruit (berry? vegetable? what is an olive?) just before I devoured it.