Skip to main content

Random things I think I am thinking

After watching The Bucket List: There is a scene in a movie where a little girl comes up to Jack Nicholson and smiles. My thought, you have to be a pretty brave kid to do what she did. Mr. Nicholson is a scary son of a bitch in that movie. Kudos to the girl.

After watching another cop show: Why is it that cop-show writers feel that the correct way to finish a case is having a perp admit the guilt in the interrogation room. What is the message behind that? Do they not trust us to figure out the guilty party by the "evidence" the investigation amasses?

Work related: for those classic ASP developers. Server 2003 does not like you to have an epmty global.asa file. It will throw a HTTP 500 Error, without an explanation. Better to not have a global.asa at all.

School related: Financial Management or Managerial Finance class has started. The good thing is that sessions two and three are online course. Finally couple of Tuesdays where I don't have to go to school, but learn at my own pace. So far the class is not that much different from the Accounting I already had. Income statements, balance sheets, and cash flows. Meh.

Life: We are cleaning house. We will have a couch with a sleeper, an ottoman, and an office desk for sale pretty soon. I also have a bunch of books I am willing to donate to any local library interested. Most of them a fantasy and science fiction in good condition. Some Russian books as well.

Crazy thought of the day: Why is it that most birds have beaks, and ducks have bills?

Comments

Mark said…
re #2, I think the writers believe most people assume that there isn't much of a happy ending in real life and want to give them something different. In real life the accused starts a multi-year set of appeals, and certainly most of the convictions would be thrown out based on the actions of the shows stars.

Having the accused confess does the double duty of explaining what happened for people who had trouble following the plot and ensuring the "bad guys lose".

I think it fits into the same category of how the bad guy always manages to do himself in so as to prevent any moral problems for the good guy. For some reason your post made me think of the Disney movie (probably a first!) Beauty and the Beast where the bad guy has to slip and fall so as not to force the hero to kill him.
I agree, Mark. It does take away a lot from the cop shows. I'd prefer the cop to figure and prove everything by him/herself.

Admitting the guilt is just way too easy, a cop-out if you excuse the pun.

I think almost every Disney movie, has something convinient to prevent the Hero from doing actual violence.

The Disney writers are firm believers in "Karma's a bitch!" theory.

The villain falls prey to his own plans, manipulations, etc...

Popular posts from this blog

Things you never cared to know about Mayonnaise

I have decided to start a new Rubric. Once a week I will write a post about a random subject. Having the subject coming out of MY head, it can be about anything. I constantly have a lot of random "Why?" and "How does?" questions floating around in my head. I will try to explain how I arrived to the subject at hand and promise to do diligent research on Wikipedia and provide you, the unfortunate reader, with either the interesting or unusual bits of info. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED! In addition to that I have a slight fetish for trivia. The rubric will be called: Things you never cared to know about Today's topic is Mayonnaise . How did I arrive to that? As I was making breakfast in the morning, I decided that I wanted to take a pita pocket and stuff it with something. The pitas are usually fairly dry, and you have to toast them. I did not have Hummus or Babaganoush (GOD! I just love saying BA-BA-GA-NOUSHHHHHHHHH!) I put a little Mayo inside to soften it up. So, ther

Crazy ideas - UPDATED

Here's a crazy survey I thought off. If you had a time machine where would you travel first? Assuming the fact of course of universal invincibility. ----UPDATE---- As my brother mentioned, with time travel universally available getting rich schemes would be less than doable. My aim is more towards investigating great mysteries of history. Therefore: a. To the Big Bang b. To see an asteroid killing dinosaurs c. To see the exodus of Jews as it really happened d. Try to see if Jesus hubbub really happened e. Forget the past, I'd go to the year 2020 to see who winds World Series and place a bet accordingly. f. Suggested by Ilya . Back a day or to to purchase winning lottery ticket. e. Try to see if Atlantis existed. f. Travel to the future to see the explosion of our Sun. I am torn between the dinosaurs and the World Series. Please suggest the choices. Should I add Buddha and Muhammed to the list as well? From the curiousity stand-point. I still rather see the dinosaurs.

Olympics

I watched the opening ceremony over the weekend (after all these years i still rave about TiVo). Am I the only one who is intimidated by the sheer amount of human power involved in the theatrics? I was impressed and a little scared at the same time. Paranoia kicking-in. Did they do that on purpose, to show how much cheap labor they can employ, to pull almost anything off?