Skip to main content

New Computer

After much deliberation and wondering (I can't believe i spend so much time on it, never before I had to spend so much time thinking about what computer to get) I have decided to build a computer myself, again.

I've looked at prebuild desktops by Dell and HP, i've looked at laptops, and I realized that they don't really give you enough of value for the amount you pay.

Sure, a lot of them look nice, and would be OK for the things I do, but I was never sure if it was enough.

Here are some of the thigns I need in a computer.

  • Good processing power - I play an occasional video-game and do a lot of graphic, 3D, and movie editing.
  • Quietness - I tend to leave the computer on for days, for downloads or renderings.
  • Small size - I am trying to take as little space now as possible.


While most of the desktops provided prebuild offer decent power and good RAM sizes the video cards in them SUCK!!! Big time.
For the laptops the same, plus for leaving the computer on and connecting it to a monitor you need docking station. This means that you would have to buy workstation type laptop. It usually adds additional $300 to the bill.

So, this is the computer i have settled on, and payed approximately $470, which is way less for the same configuration of prebuild computer

  • Intel Core 2 Duo - Last two computers I have switched from AMD to Intel. Whatever people say, Intel chips were always more stable for me.
  • A MicroATX MSI motherboard - I like MSI, and used them for the last 3 or 4 builds. The mobo will support future Core 2 Quad chips and 4G of RAM, so a good cheap upgrade in year or two.
  • 2G of no-name DDR2 RAM - never had a problem with no-name RAM brands(at least none that I would have noticed
  • Low-name Leadtek NVidia 8600 GT with 512 RAM - I though about going with Radeon this time, but for the price and functionality decided to stick with NVidia again.
  • A Compucase 14" x 14" Minitower - this should work for the little size part.
  • Non-stock 500W Apivia power-supply with dual fans and good quietness - reviews were mixed, but it seems they all agree on the quietness part.
  • 80 G SATA WD hardrive - I like to have 2 HD in my computer, one for data another for programs and OS. I will be taking the other from my old PC.
  • LG optical drive - same as for the HD


With so many options available it was really hard to choose a good build. I have also been out of the hardware loop for so long I don't know half of the technologies available.

I'll keep posting when the stuff comes-in and I will build it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things you never cared to know about Mayonnaise

I have decided to start a new Rubric. Once a week I will write a post about a random subject. Having the subject coming out of MY head, it can be about anything. I constantly have a lot of random "Why?" and "How does?" questions floating around in my head. I will try to explain how I arrived to the subject at hand and promise to do diligent research on Wikipedia and provide you, the unfortunate reader, with either the interesting or unusual bits of info. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED! In addition to that I have a slight fetish for trivia. The rubric will be called: Things you never cared to know about Today's topic is Mayonnaise . How did I arrive to that? As I was making breakfast in the morning, I decided that I wanted to take a pita pocket and stuff it with something. The pitas are usually fairly dry, and you have to toast them. I did not have Hummus or Babaganoush (GOD! I just love saying BA-BA-GA-NOUSHHHHHHHHH!) I put a little Mayo inside to soften it up. So, ther

Crazy ideas - UPDATED

Here's a crazy survey I thought off. If you had a time machine where would you travel first? Assuming the fact of course of universal invincibility. ----UPDATE---- As my brother mentioned, with time travel universally available getting rich schemes would be less than doable. My aim is more towards investigating great mysteries of history. Therefore: a. To the Big Bang b. To see an asteroid killing dinosaurs c. To see the exodus of Jews as it really happened d. Try to see if Jesus hubbub really happened e. Forget the past, I'd go to the year 2020 to see who winds World Series and place a bet accordingly. f. Suggested by Ilya . Back a day or to to purchase winning lottery ticket. e. Try to see if Atlantis existed. f. Travel to the future to see the explosion of our Sun. I am torn between the dinosaurs and the World Series. Please suggest the choices. Should I add Buddha and Muhammed to the list as well? From the curiousity stand-point. I still rather see the dinosaurs.

Olympics

I watched the opening ceremony over the weekend (after all these years i still rave about TiVo). Am I the only one who is intimidated by the sheer amount of human power involved in the theatrics? I was impressed and a little scared at the same time. Paranoia kicking-in. Did they do that on purpose, to show how much cheap labor they can employ, to pull almost anything off?